The founder of the Group was Panagis Sykas from Lania, later known as Panayiotis Lanitis who settled in Limassol at the end of the ottoman occupation of the Island, his main business being the trading of foodstuffs. In 1896 his two sons, Nicolas P. Lanitis and Costas P. Lanitis established a business partnership, namely N.P. Lanitis Co. Ltd., which eventually became the backbone of the Lanitis Group. In 1901 together with other Limassolians they set up the Popular Savings Bank, which is today the Cyprus Popular Bank, with our Group being the biggest Cypriot shareholder. In 1933 Costas and Nicolas Lanitis bought agricultural land at the Villages of Alectora and Kouklia, part of which is today the Aphrodite Hills. In 1936 they created what it is today Lanitis Farm, consisting of 980 acres. In 1943 Amathus Navigation Co. Ltd was established followed by Cybarco Ltd in 1945. In 1952 Lanitis N. & E. Holdings Ltd was registered, and later renamed Lanitis E.C. Estates Ltd, which is the holding company of the Group and owners of rural and urban property.
In 1990 Lanitis Development Ltd was established followed in 2003 by Lanitis Entertainment Ltd. This period was also characterized by an increased participation in the shareholding of other companies, covering the majority of productive activities. The Lanitis Group grew impressively over the years under the dynamic leadership of the late Evagoras Lanitis, well known also for his social and humanitarian activities in the area of education, archaeology, health, and sports. After his death in 1992, the younger generation of the family – the brothers Platon, Costas and Marios Lanitis -under the Chairmanship of Mr. Platon Lanitis, ushered the Lanitis group into the twenty first century with new services and the most advanced methods in technology and management. Today the Lanitis Group is ready to face the challenges of a competitive new era.